- Latest stats show in England one person dies from Suicide every 85 minutes.
- 3 out of 4 suicides will be men.
- Hanging is the largest suicide method used in the UK for both men and women.
- Suicide ends more lives than leukaemia in the UK.
- Globally one person dies as a result of suicide every 40 seconds.
- Over 800 000 people die due to suicide every year.
- Suicide is the second leading cause of death among 15–29-year-olds globally.
- If you are Male and under 50 in the UK you are more likely to die by Suicide, than by accident, illness or injury.
- Three quarters of people who die by suicide will not have been in contact with mental health services.
- Depression is the biggest single diagnosis of people who die by suicide
- The number of people who experience suicidal thinking is at least 10 times higher than the numbers of people who die by suicide.
- Many suicides happen impulsively in moments of crisis with a breakdown in the ability to deal with life stresses, such as financial problems, relationship break-up or chronic pain and illness.
- In addition, experiencing conflict, disaster, violence, abuse, or loss and a sense of isolation are strongly associated with suicidal behaviour.
- Suicide rates are also high amongst vulnerable groups who experience discrimination, such as refugees and migrants; indigenous peoples; lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex (LGBTI) persons; and prisoners.
- By far the strongest risk factor for suicide is a previous suicide attempt
It can be difficult to talk about mental health and we hope that the campaign will help men understand it is important not to keep their feelings to themselvesDr Alex Cotton, MBE, Mental Health Nurse and Founder of It Takes Balls To Talk
Coventry Warwickshire Partnership NHS Trust
IT TAKES BALLS TO TALK!
Help us to promote positive mental health and save someone's life.